Friday, February 27, 2009

Pierre Bourdelle Mural










Mural by Pierre Bourdelle. This piece was actually sculpted in relief and painted for one of the Food Buildings at the New York World's Fair of 1939-1940. As I understand Bourdelle employed a number of assistants to complete this work.
Pierre painted/sculpted and designed many different murals in his bold style for many years. He also enjoyed experimenting in using more unusual sorts of materials in which to execute his work.
His father was a well known sculptor;Antoine Bourdelle, who was also an apprentice/assistant of Rodin at one time in his career.
Included here are two scans from Collier's magazine for January 28,1939, concerning Bourdelle and this particular mural.

4 comments:

pbourd said...

Thank you for this striking image of one of Pierre's big Murals. You can still see similar works of his at the Texas State Fairgrounds, in Dallas Texas from their 1937 Centennial Fair. My father was born in Paris but by 1927, New York was to become his home base of operation until his final trip to Geneva, Switzerland in 1966. (4/21/1901-7/5/66)
Peter A. Bourdelle

pbourd said...

For friends of and/or just interested in learning more about Pierre van parys Bourdelle, his life, his Art, and what he tried to convey to his students. (21 April 1901- 5 July 1966) feel free to writ to his son Peter in PA.

Muralist said...

Sorry it took me so long to publish these comments, I have been neglecting my blog, but that is going to change.
It's an honor to have your comments here--I admire your father's work very much. I think he was an artist with a very unique vision, and also very versatile in his choice of mediums. I Have an interesting article somewhere (from the 50's or 60's I think) where he was interviewed in American Artist Magazine. Also another article in Life magazine that concerned his worlds fair murals.
Thanks again!

Muralist said...

I didn't know that he taught as well. I would love to hear more about his work.
Jeffrey