Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Century of Progress Chicago Fair


This set of murals is one of my all time favorites. I think it is absolutely amazing. First of all, you rarely see murals on curved surfaces like this. Not to mention the sheer size of the curved surfaces. In my opinion I would think that they were probably painted off-site and installed later.
I really love how the curved wavy lines in the upper areas of each mural, further enhance the curve of the walls. Also this element of the design also pulls the murals together, giving a nice feeling of harmony to the design even though the murals are all on separate walls. I have to say that I'm not absolutely sure if these are walls or columns of some shape or another.
I wish I had other photos of this set of murals from another angle. I think it is really extraordinary. It was painted for the GE House of Magic for the Chicago Century of Progress 1933-1934. I have been unable to find out who the artist or artists were for this piece...BUT at some point I did locate some information that led me to believe that the artist, or one of the artists who created this piece was Santiago Martinez Delgado.

No comments: