Thursday, August 1, 2013

Study of Robert Delaunay's" Three Graces"

After discovering the work of Robert Delaunay earlier this Spring, I began to research more of his work. I discovered what appears to have been a study he did for a mural he painted for the Paris Exposition of 1937, entitled "The Three Graces".
Yes, I then became totally obsessed with this image. I put it on my desktop, printed photos of it, printed a couple copies of it, and even gave one to another artist friend, and spoke to my painting professor about it. I spent a good deal of time contemplating it, trying to understand it.
I love the sort of stained glass effect--or I might say, the way the colors facet light and dark, and how some areas are so filled with light that color is seemingly blanked out. At least that is how I see it.
I love this quote from Robert Delaunay, especially after just discovering Olivier Messiaen, and his thoughts on music and color, and revealing his experience of Synesthesia.
“These are based on studies in the transparency of color, whose similarity to musical notes drove me to discover the ‘movement of color’.”
The Delaunay original:
Some early stages:
The finished study.
It was an interesting journey. I have been thinking about trying to do a painting of my own in this style. It's difficult I think, to take a style like this and interpret something of your own in the same way--it's like a different language. But it isn't just about paint and brushstrokes, its also about energy, and feeling.

No comments: