Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Finals Painting Project

For our finals project we were assigned to create three paintings with something that tied all three paintings together.
It could be subject matter, or style, or an object---there were many possibilities.
Right away I thought of my wooden artist's mannequin, and once I got back to my studio I started coming up with ideas.
We were to take around 10 photos of each possible composition for each painting--when applicable.
So my original idea was to set up the mannequin in three different scenarios.
Originally, I was going to use a different scenario for each painting.
The first had an "In the Artist's Studio" theme:

Then a "Tea Break" sort of theme:

Thirdly, an "In the Garden" theme:

After reviewing the photos and going over the photos and concepts with the professor, she convince me of what I already knew, and that was the the Garden theme concept was the strongest, and would stand strong as a theme for all three paintings.
So the next step was to complete full size drawings of each of the three compositions that I decided upon. This was the first time we had performed this step as part of the process. So the drawing was 16x20, the same size as the canvases. It was interesting for me to see that the growth I was experiencing in painting had also improved my drawing skills.

The final paintings:

The Discovery.


The Embracing.


The Contemplation.


All three together:


All work assembled for critique.




1 comment:

Muralist said...

Speaking months later with my painting professor about this series, she saw the story as something different--she saw it as a putting to rest, or burying of something--like I was putting to rest the way of painting in which I have usually worked. Looking at the series in that light is very interesting.
Partly because I chose to paint it in the way that I was more used to painting, without trying anything new. I chose this because I felt that I would be so busy during the time of painting for finals that it wasn't the time to experiment.It was a time to do only what I already knew. But in the end, even though I love the series, I did get bored with it because I wasn't innovating. I felt kind of sad that I had sort of painted myself into a corner and had to finish it the more traditional way I was used to--and found myself getting bored which taught me a good lesson. I think she was right in her theory on the series. It should have been in different order and titled differently:
1st: The Contemplation
(Same title as original)
2nd: The Saying Good Bye/Letting Go
(Mannequin sitting on edge of pot)
3rd: The Putting to Rest
The Artist's Mannequin Standing with trowel--something will grow from that buried apple)