Thursday, February 7, 2013

Giacometti and Diebenkorn

This was to have been painted in the style/influence of Alberto Giacometti. I was pretty pleased with this one--I used what I liked from his work, but did not make it look exactly like his hand. I like his use of many lines to define form as I used here.
This one was an assignment to either copy a painting by Giacometti, or do one in his style, and I chose to copy a painting. I was really intrigued by the original---the long lanky figures in an environment that is hard to define. I also like how it is divided into three spaces. I also chose it because I would never normally choose to paint something in this style. I really enjoyed this one.
This next assignment was the same, but this time the artist was Richard Diebenkorn. I chose one of his early abstracts, as it really caught my eye---the layers of shapes, the layering of colors, some semi-transparent--also all the interesting shapes appealed to me. I really enjoyed this one as well. Breaking solid forms up into just colors and abstract shapes-very freeing and interesting.

No comments: